- Very popular in Scandinavia.
- Also in other cold countries.
- Made of polystrene
- High density polystyrene is 100g/litre
- Insulation grade is 5g/litre
- Packing grade (eg round a TV) is 10-25g/litre.
- Walls are about 6.5cms thick
- Roof may be 10cms thick.
- Thus well insulated.
- Well insulated so build up 3 weeks earlier
- Keeps the hive warmer in the winter.
- Keeps the hive cooler in the summer.
- Does not get damp
- Does not suffer so much from wax moth damage.
- Does not require painting
- Can usually be painted in solvent-free paints.
- Wide range of available colours!
- Lighter - 15kg for two super hive with no frames.
- Does not warp in the damp.
- Does not rot.
- Can be steam cleaned.
- Well insulated there may not be a brood break.
- Oxalic acid treatment may not be as effective.
- Queen may start to lay before forage available.
- Lighter weight than a wooden hive.
- May blow over in strong winds.
- Not built of sustainable material.
- Cannot be sterilised with a blow torch.
- A hive tool can cause serious damage to the hive wall.
- Varroacides have to be used with care if they contain solvents.